Doctor PeeCee Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer won't start !!!

2 posters

Go down

Computer won't start !!! Empty Computer won't start !!!

Post  Worried Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:22 pm

Dear Dr PeeCee,

I need help. My mum & dad have been away over Easter, and I have done something to their computer. I was using it to surf the net, and there was a strange smell then everything turned off.

I haven't got much cash so I'm in a bind. Can you help me fix it on the cheap before they get back.

Thanks,

Worried !!!

Worried

Back to top Go down

Computer won't start !!! Empty Re: Computer won't start !!!

Post  Doctor PeeCee Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 pm

Worried wrote:Dear Dr PeeCee,

I need help. My mum & dad have been away over Easter, and I have done something to their computer. I was using it to surf the net, and there was a strange smell then everything turned off.

I haven't got much cash so I'm in a bind. Can you help me fix it on the cheap before they get back.

Thanks,

Worried !!!

Hi Worried, and welcome to the Doctor PeeCee Forum.

From what you have described, it appears to me that 1 of 2 things have occurred.

1. Your power supply fan has failed and has overheated the transformer in your power supply, thus ceasing power to your PC.
2. Your CPU fan has failed, and the PC has shut down power to the Central Processing Unit (CPU) to protect it.

To better assist your problem, I would like to ask:

What happens when you try to power on your PC the next morning. If the PC turns on and shuts itself down after about 5-10 minutes, then you may need to replace the CPU fan. If the PC does not power on at all and appears "dead", your power supply may require replacement.

- Doctor PeeCee

Last edited by Doctor PeeCee on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:54 pm; edited 4 times in total

Doctor PeeCee
Admin

https://doctorpeecee.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Worried Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:55 am

Carl,

I have tried what you said. Even after a night its still not going. The push button at the front just clicks when I press it. No lights come on, no noises, nothing on the screen.

I'm scared its broken for good.

What's this power supply thing you mentioned, and what do i have to do. Will it cost much??

Thnks!

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post  Doctor PeeCee Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Worried wrote:Carl,

I have tried what you said. Even after a night its still not going. The push button at the front just clicks when I press it. No lights come on, no noises, nothing on the screen.

I'm scared its broken for good.

What's this power supply thing you mentioned, and what do i have to do. Will it cost much??

Thnks!

Hi Worried,

It appears that your power supply may of overheated due to fan failure. The power supply is the part of the computer where the power plug cable joins to the main system (not the display). We do not recommend that you try to replace it yourself as you may incur an electric shock. It will require an experienced technician to replace it for you. Fortunately the cost should not be too high. You can drop it off at your local PC repair shop, or we can recommend a technician who would be happy to rectify the problem at a very reasonable rate. If you are interested in speaking with an experienced technician, please email your contact phone number to doctorpeecee@hotmail.com and we can pass on your details to have you back up and running ASAP.

- Doctor PeeCee

Doctor PeeCee
Admin

https://doctorpeecee.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum